Marine Bath

"She is going to show us the official way to take a marine bath."

When water is scarce, an upturned helmet becomes a wash basin in the standard military “marine bath”. George’s cartoon was one of many humorous drawings he circulated among his shipmates while serving on board the USS LaVallette during WWII.

This entry was posted in Drawings, Humor. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Marine Bath

1. Jeff Brainard says:

George,
    I am so glad you and Julie and Gabrielle shared this 3.5 years of your life with us! I love this shot of the beauty taking a bath…so glad that in those harsh times and rough conditions…a little humor and normalcy could be encouraged….by you!
    Happy Birthday…hope to see you soon…THANKS FOR SERVING.

Jeff and Laurey Brainard.

2. Barbara Michelson says:

Dear Uncle George,
    Happy 90th Birthday! Wish I could be there to give you a hug in person!
    I’m going to send Julie pictures she may not have, to add to the site–I treasure the photo of you in uniform with your dog Stubby, which was posted in the newspaper when he disappeared.
    And I have films of you and my Dad Lou, two good-looking 20-something hunks, looking like you just stepped out of a GAP ad–in tee shirts and khakis! When I figure out i-Movie and can capture the video, I’ll post it too!
    Love,
    Barbara

3. Dino says:

Beautiful work George!
    Glad I stopped by to check it out!
    Dino
    Montreal, Canada

4. Eleanor Glick says:

-Absolutely wonderful drawings, George-and Happy Birthday-
    best wishes,
    Ellie Glick, Alex Van Dyne’s cousin

5. Donna says:

Absolute talent !!! Have a most wonderful Birthday!
    Donna, Vacaville CA

6. melanie hartley says:

Hi there. Alex Allman raved about you & your work George. Being an art lover I had to check this out. This particular painting cracked me up. I kept thinking, these Marines will need cold showers after that bath demo! Great work & how wonderful to share your experience & create smiles as well as art. Wishing you & your family all the best. 🙂
    Melanie